Sample Interview Questions
Know the answers to these interview questions ahead of time. As you formulate your answers, you may want to write them down to help your thought process and articulate your ideas.
Next, practice your answers with a friend so they sound natural and not contrived. Keep practicing until you’ve committed the key points to memory and deliver them succinctly.
- Tell me about yourself.
- Give me a high-level overview of your background and experience.
- Tell me why you are interested in this job.
- Why did you leave your last job or why are you looking to leave your current job?
- What are the performance expectations at your current job and to what extent have you met those expectations?
- How were you rated at your last performance review?
- What did your supervisor list as your areas of strength? Areas for improvement?
- How does your performance rank among your peers?
- What did you like best about your last job? What did you like the least?
- Walk me through a typical day at your current (or previous) job.
- How would your current supervisor describe your work ethic?
- What major challenges did you face in your work there?
- What do co-workers say about you?
- Why should I hire you?
- Why do you want to work for our company?
- What are your salary expectations?
- What are your strengths and weaknesses?
- Where do you expect to be in 5 years’ time?
- Name an achievement you are particularly proud of. Why is it significant?
- Can you give me five words that best describe you?
- Why do you think you are the best person for the job?
- What do you know about this organization?
- What have you done to improve your knowledge in the last year?
- What motivates you to do your best on the job?
- What qualities do you look for in a boss?
- Tell me about a time when you had too many tasks to do and what you did to complete them on time.
- Give me a specific example of a time when you had to conform to a policy to which you did not agree.
- Tell me about a time when a project you were working on did not go as you had planned.
- Describe a time where you were required to lead a team. What was the situation? How did you lead the team and what was the outcome?
- Tell me about a time where you were responsible for managing a project. Describe how you managed your project team, timeline, resources, and deliverables.
- Give us some examples where you demonstrated initiative.
- Tell me about a time when you had to go above and beyond what was required in order to get a job done.
- Tell me about a time where you were in conflict with your supervisor and how you handled that situation.
- Tell me about a time where you were able to successfully deal with another person even when that individual may not have personally liked you (or vice versa).
- Tell me about a time when you were forced to make an unpopular decision.
- Tell me about a time where you struggled to meet expectations and what you did to turn things around.